Beef w/ Broccoli, Bell Pepper & Mushrooms
a great supper!
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp dry sherry
2 tsp corn starch
1 tsp sugar
¾ lb any kind of meat
4 tsp canola oil
4 cups broccoli florets
1 red bell pepper, sliced in ¼” strips
6 oz shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps sliced
3 scallions, chopped (white and green parts, separate)
1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 Tbsp minced fresh garlic
¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 recipe classic stir-fry sauce recipe
1) Combine soy sauce, sherry, cornstarch, and sugar in medium bowl. Stir in meat and set aside for about 15 minutes.
2) Heat large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tsp of the oil. Swirl to coat. Add half the meat in a single layer and leave until seared, about 1 minute.
3) Stir-fry meat until no longer pink, about 1 minute. Remove. Add 1 tsp oil and repeat with remaining meat.
4) Add remaining 2 tsp oil to pan. Add broccoli, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
5) Make a well in center and add white part of scallions, ginger, garlic, and pepper flakes. Stir-fry with vegetables for 1 minute.
6) Add ¼ cup water and cover pan until broccoli is just done, 3 minutes.
7) Return meat to pan and add stir-fry sauce. Cook until sauce thickens slightly, 1-2 minutes.
8) Sprinkle with green part of scallions and serve.